For the second year in a row, as a result of COVID restrictions, there was no Remembrance Day parade, although we held a service at the cenotaph. It was a beautiful fall day and attendance was good, bolstered by the Caledonia firefighters and the Masons from St. Andrew’s Lodge No. 62 in regalia. We were honoured to have three war veterans with us: Hugh Patterson, Vic Ramirez and Bob Hoover
Lacking a band, the anthems, Reveille and Rouse were played from tape on a sound system provided by Craig Peters and In Flanders Fields was recited by Paige Corlis. Canadian Warplane Heritage timed their flypast by “Vera”, the Lancaster and “Dak” the Douglas C-47 Dakota, perfectly.
Wreaths were laid by:
- The Government of Canada – Dave Oleniuk, on behalf of Leslyn Lewis, MP
- The Government of Ontario – Toby Barret, MPP
- Haldimand County – Councillor Dan Lawrence
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 154 – Dennis Zebiere, President Branch 154
- Ladies Auxiliary Branch 154 – Linda Duns, President Branch 154 Ladies Auxiliary
Even with COVID restrictions, the reception at the Branch was well attended, with President Dennis Zebiere presenting 50 Year Service medals to three members of the Ladies Auxiliary.
Thanks to all who helped and participated.
Photos courtesy of Dave Erauw and Toby Barret.